Thursday, January 14, 2010

Weekend of January 15th - 17th

Hello Blues People,
I have encountered some kind of Virus while trying to check out Fiery Ron's and/or the Pour House sites. Everything went wild after that, but Norton seems top have fixed it. Beware when visiting these sites. Fiery Ron's in Sullivan's Isle has Sho Nuff, a funk band on Saturday night. On Saturday there is a benefit at the Sewee Outpost featuring The Blue Dogs, The Occasional Milkshake(Mark Bryan, Danielle Howle, Ed Hunnicutt, Doug Jones & Craven Melon, Triple Lindy, The Whisperjets and more. It's from 2-6 and benefits the Seee Association which does not mention its purpose in the promotion for some reason, but a good show to be sure.
Morgan Creek has Pamela Dale and Brodie Porterfield but I can't seem to find out what style of music they play except that it is original. They don't look beat up enough for the blues but hey look at Dan! There's a well kept blues dude although I think he's going to have some plastic surgery to add a few bumps and scars. Speaking of Dan let us all wish him luck in the Memphis Blues Challenge. I believe he can take the prize! Ted McKee who is very, very good if you haven't heard him, along with bassist Gary HEwitt is playing Famous Joe's on Savannah Highway on Saturday night the 16th. It is near JB Pivots and Wally Gator's OLD JOINT. Lord I could use an old joint right now myself. Speaking of myself, I will be at Bowens Island on Friday night with Steve Padgett and we welcome all who wish to jam with us, especially we could use a drummer! Bowens is going to open the new restaurant in mid February, during the Blues Bash although there won't be any official Blues Bash shows there, there may be some un-official ones! I have just booked Momma and the Blues Palace Band folks including Tommy Thunderfoot (who I wish was back among the Blues Club. Their gig will be at Bowens on May 30th during Piccolo Spoleto.
I wish I had more to add but it will be really thick next week with Blues Bash stuff and that schedule can be found and downloaded by going to or searching bluesbash.com
Drink Small's birthday (and Juke Joint Johnny's too!) is January 28th. Drink Small will be having some parties up in Columbia where his birthday has been declared an official City Holiday. In keeping with the blues tradition this holiday will not get you any time off work or overtime. But there is a plaque somewhere.... My birthday is Feb. 3rd so you may want to start planning parties and saving up for lavish gifts. Or not. Stay warm....

No comments: